How to Turn Your Yard into an Outdoor Oasis
By Leslie Campos
Even though states have reopened, right now, everyone’s still feeling a bit cooped up. With the Delta Variant wreaking havoc, contact with others has become risky again, keeping many of us at home. Again. However, more time at home might not sound appealing. So what are you supposed to do?
Well, combine the best of both worlds by stepping up your yard game. Turning your yard into a backdoor paradise can be the perfect distraction right now. Not only will it give you a pleasant outdoor space to enjoy, but it will also boost your home’s value along the way. Live Love and Eat Magazine offers some great tips for tackling this project.
Don’t let your garden project break the bank.
● Review your finances and see how much you can set aside for the project.
● Consider using DIY and repurposed items to cut costs where possible.
● A food garden can cut down on grocery costs and give you a return on your investment.
There are steps you can take to make your yard project as easy and manageable as possible.
● Consider hiring a landscaper to evaluate your space and help you make a plan.
● Have your soil tested for acidity to know what plants will grow the best.
● If you’re a beginner, learn how to grow your own garden. You’ll need to know what tools to use, how to prevent pests from eating your hard-earned veggies, and when to plant seeds.
● Determine which foods your family will actually eat, and then base your garden around that. If they’re picky eaters, find ways to encourage them to try new things.
A well-designed yard allows children to play while parents relax.
● If your child is allergic to bees, avoid planting flowers that attract pollinators.
● Installing a fence can give you a sense of seclusion and peace of mind. Find local fencing companies with top ratings through sites like Angi to ensure quality workmanship.
There are so many possibilities for your backyard, from turning into a lush garden to creating your own farm to making an adventure park for your little ones. Explore the options, and soon you’ll have a plan for developing your perfect backyard oasis. We all need more opportunities for fun, joy, and fresh air; you can have it all just a step from your back door.
Leslie Campos created Wellparents.com to offer help and resources to busy parents who want to stay healthy and active. She loves to practice yoga, CrossFit and watch The Great British Baking show when not working or running her children to various after school activities